Compressing alt.sex.pictures files

Pim Zandbergen pim at cti-software.nl
Thu Aug 30 23:22:00 AEST 1990

>>GIF files are already compressed.  If you're talking about compressing GIF
>>files, you'll need to figure out a way to compress LZW-compressed files.

>GIF -> MagicFormat and MagicFormat -> GIF converters will cover the rest of
>the problems, just like the overwhelming number of converters now in use.

>Defining a "whole new format" for image data seems to happen once a month,
>and defining a new compression scheme about every three months; I doubt
>One More Format will slow people down much.

What about ppm as a Magic Format ? ppm files are not compressed.
The pbmplus package is widely used and contains all sorts
of tools for converting to mac, gif, tiff and other formats.

ppmcompress would be a valuable addition to the pbmplus package.
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim at cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70           phone  : +31 70 3542302
2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands      fax    : +31 70 3512837