wp2latex (1 of 4)

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT allbery at NCoast.ORG
Tue Aug 14 10:34:46 AEST 1990

As quoted from <-Z45SQ2 at ggpc2.ferranti.com> by peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva):
+---------------
| In article <6443 at helios.ee.lbl.gov> leres at helios.ee.lbl.gov (ucbvax!leres for uucp weenies) writes:
| > Peter da Silva writes:
| > > Is it *really* too much to ask that people include an Archive-name: entry
| > > in postings to alt.sources? It is such a little thing, and saves countless
| > > hours of poring through files with names like "30Jul90.17652". Just put, on
| > > the first line of the message:
|
| > Yes, I think it *really* is.
|
| > The poor suckers can't remember to post alt.sources discussion to
| > alt.sources.d, how do you expect them to remember to add your header?
|
| It's not *my* header. It's the standard header on *every* posting in *every*
| moderated sources group. It's a de-facto standard for everyone on the net.
+-^^^^^^^^^-----

alt.sources isn't moderated....

+---------------
| Look at it this way: when you post something to alt.sources you're doing it
| because you want people to use your code. You go to the trouble of sharring
| it up, splitting it, and so on to try to ensure that people can use it. You
| go to the trouble of putting a meaningful subject line so that people can
| find it.
+---------------

They split it because the news software often rejects it otherwise.  They shar
it because the net flames them if they don't.

You wouldn't believe how many submissions I receive that aren't shar'ed, that
don't hve meaningful subject lines (or sometimes any subject lines at all).
And I've received maybe five submissions that included suggested archive names
since the inception of comp.sources.misc, aside from the sub-moderated
Australian postings.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF: KB8JRR/KT on 220 (soon others)
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Delphi: ALLBERY