Public Domain version of: yes(1)

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP
Wed Apr 13 02:13:05 AEST 1988

In article <2561 at bsu-cs.UUCP> I wrote:
>     rm < yes

I thank the many people who send me email pointing out that the correct
way to use yes(1) with rm (aliased to "rm -i") is:

     yes | rm

I stand corrected.  However, this led me to realize that it would be
far more efficient to have a special device, so one could simply do:

     rm < /dev/yes

Pipes are well-known to be inefficient, and it makes no sense to create
a new yes process when /dev/yes would be so much faster.  I am working
on writing /dev/yes and will submit it to comp.sources.unix
eventually.  I will also attempt to create a similar device for VAX/VMS
to handle DELETE being redefined as DELETE/CONFIRM.  On VAX/VMS such a
device is critically needed because VMS does not have pipes.

Thanks to all who supplied feedback for their dedication to the cause
of more user-friendly computing.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi