Public Domain version of: yes(1)

Martin Nicolay zzmartin at unidui.UUCP
Mon Apr 11 23:16:43 AEST 1988

In article <2561 at bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>We should not make fun of the fact that the source for yes(1) as
>supplied with 4.xBSD is proprietary.  AT&T has spent many millions of
>dollars developing UNIX, and Berkeley has used this source code to
>create 4.xBSD.  Thus it is only fair that if you want Berkeley's
>version of yes(1), then AT&T should get its royalty for the UNIX source
>that it is based on.  This is why you need an AT&T source license in
>order to get the source for yes(1).

I don't know what kind of software can be copyrighted in the USA.  In
Germany nobody can copyright an algorithm.  Softeware can only be
protected if and only if the progammer can express his/her own style
(the programming must have been a kind of art).  In Germany there can't
be a copyright on yes(1).  (Neither on true(1) :-)

"the artist" :-)

-----
   * Martin Nicolay                                         *
   * Fliederstr. 23, 4100 Duisburg 1, W.-Germany            *
   * UUCP: {rest of the wild world}!unido!unidui!zzmartin   *
   * VOICE: (University) +45-203-379-2363                   *