Funny bugs in some C compilers

Kenneth Almquist ka at spanky.UUCP
Sun Sep 18 12:24:19 AEST 1983

Before we discuss how to implement structure comparison, we should
consider whether structure comparison should be implemented at
all.  I don't think it should.  I think that the number of programs
that could benefit from a structure comparison operator is quite
small.  (My opinion, anyone want to come up with a list of cases
where structure comparison would be useful?)  As a result, some
compiler implementers will probably not bother with structure
comparison and so that people will tend to avoid the feature to
ensure portability even if they do have a use for it.  In short,
I expect structure comparison to become known as a feature that
flopped if it is added to C.
						Kenneth Almquist