Comments on book review

peters at cubsvax.UUCP peters at cubsvax.UUCP
Fri Apr 27 10:37:20 AEST 1984

Below are excerpts from fortune!crane's review of a new book on C programming.
I haven't seen the book, but the author's basic idea of how to program, which
crane shares, is the common textbook version that comes with the idea
of structured programming.  I've reproduced crane's comments below.

Now, my question is, does anyone really program this way?  I really want to
know!  I certainly *mostly* do what the author (see below) calls BUGGING.  When
I try to think everything out ahead of time, I find that before I get very far
I start being uncertain what the compiler, programming tools, etc., are
really going to do with the overall method I have in mind, and so I go in
and try it on elementary examples.  Then I end up extending these elementary
examples over and over, and combining them with other extended elementary
examples, to make a program or package.  Then I clean it up at the end.  The
point is, it's an *iterative* process, not one in which I first plan, then
implement.

I'm sure that part of the reason I work this way is that I'm still not
completely comfortable with C and UNIX, but I tended to work this way even
in languages in which I felt very much at home.

{philabs,cmcl2!rocky2}!cubsvax!peters            Dr. Peter S. Shenkin
Dept of Biol. Sci.;  Columbia Univ.;  New York, N. Y.  10027;  212-280-5517