6809 C compilers available

aschenba at uwvax.ARPA aschenba at uwvax.ARPA
Wed Jul 25 04:28:58 AEST 1984

The cheapest C compiler I have seen is Dyna-C, which I have bought a copy of.
This is only a fake compiler that generates assembly language source :-) (you
have to get your own assembler, but it works with most directly).  This
compiler is a translation of one that appeared in Dr. Dobb's for Z80's, and
generates the 6809 equivalents of the Z80 instructions that would have been
generated.  Hardly optimal, but much better than BASIC interpretation...

It comes with open/close/read/write/getchar and other routines, but doesn't
have types beyond char & int, #if, structures, unions, <<=, >>=  variables are
assumed auto when declared in a function, static global outside (when compiling
modules separately, static global works like FORTRAN COMMON.

There are a few problems, such as:
	- Input lines longer than 80 characters get a newline put in the 80th
	  position and are treated as two lines.
	- Underscore is legal to this C, but not to some assemblers (OS-9
	  claims it allows underscore in the manual, but the program complains
	  when it sees any)
	- Combining int & char in expressions doesn't work in a few cases.

Overall, this is a cheap C ($60).  It was a good buy when other versions were
around $350.  It compiles quickly (single compiler pass + 2 assembler) and you
can control the size of the runtime library to <1K if you put in your own
conditionalization (or just write your own).  I think it's great for playing,
text filters, or device drivers.  I wrote my own pre-preprocessor to help with
the 80 characters/line problem & the underscore problem.

This is the only C compiler I know that fits (is usable) with the assembler on
a single 5" disk.  It is sold for OS-9 and FLEX. Source for the runtime
package is supplied in C/assembler.

Introl-C is sold for FLEX and OS-9 for $375, runs in 4 passes + 2 assembler
passes + 1 linker pass.  I don't know much about this one, but it is much more
complete.   Adds clam everything but bitfields & doubles These are being
worked on now & upgrades will supposedly be made available.  The assembler is
macro/relocating, and a library manager is included.

Microware (maker of OS-9) puts out a similar C compiler, but the price was
just slashed (for the RS Color Computer "CoCo") to $100.  I glanced at the
documentation and #if, bitfields and doubles aren't implemented but everything
else links in to OS-9 well.  This one is on my Christmas list.

You can get all of the above from Frank Hogg Labs, Inc., 770 James St.
Syracuse NY 13202 (315)474-7856.  The Microware C you can also get at your
local Radio Shack store.  All three generate position-independent, ROMable
code.

Dugger's Growing Systems sells C for OS-9 ($60/50) and FLEX ($75).  Their add
says "fast, efficient longs, floats, most operators" They have a relocatable
macro assembler/linker w/ up t 32 characters for $75/50/75, and "multi-window
displaying" for $35.
    P.O. Box 305
    Solana Beach, Calif. 92075
    (619) 755 4373  (tech info 6am to 8am PDT only)
The add for Dyna C has this table for comparison (who knows where they got it):

	Compile     Compiled    Total     Execution   Price
	 Load         bytes     bytes       time        $
         (sec)                              (sec)
Introl      219          222     1005             22    375
Dyna-C       58          238      970             30     60
Wordsworth   88          307      924             48    100
Duggers      89          385     1361             58    120
Intersoft   207          490     5573             97    100
Telecon       ?            ?    13484             43    200

Wordworth makes compilers for other processors as well.  I have never heard of
Intersoft or Telecon.  Look for adds in The Rainbow, Hot CoCo or write Frank
for a catalog.  These prices are changing quickly, and bitfields are coming on
fast...
--
W. Scott Aschenbach @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!aschenba
aschenba at wisc-rsch.arpa