When words are good and when words are bad

Todd H. Ogasawara ogasawar at noscvax.UUCP
Tue Aug 6 07:31:15 AEST 1985

In article <527 at oliveb.UUCP> long at oliveb.UUCP (Dave Long) writes:
>In article <2903 at ncsu.UUCP> mauney at ncsu.UUCP (Jon Mauney) writes:
>| If symbols are so great, why not do away with keywords entirely?  We could
>| use <- for "goto", @-> for "if", >< for "while", and [->] for "switch".
>| Wouldn't that make programs a lot easier to read?

Sounds like you might want to try APL.  Most people say that APl is harder
to read that other kinds of programming language.  However, if you keep
in mind that one line of APL is often the equivalent of dozens or hundreds
of lines of other high level lanaguages, it doesn't seem to bad..todd

p.s.  Let's not start an argument about the relative merits of C and APL.
  Both have their place in my software toolkit.  Sometimes one is more
  appropriate, sometimes the other is.

Todd Ogasawara, Computer Sciences Corp.
NOSC-Hawaii Laboratories

UUCPmail: {akgua,allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!noscvax!ogasawar
MILNET:   OGASAWAR at NOSC