Lattice C for IBM Mainframes from SAS

Eric C. Brown brownc at utah-cs.UUCP
Wed Aug 7 10:29:15 AEST 1985

In article <252 at kitty.UUCP> peter at kitty.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) writes:
>How compatible with K&R is Microsoft C? How much of section 3 does the
>library emulate? Last time I looked at compilers Lattice was the only
>one that made a decent effort at implementing section 3. That was 6 months
>ago and that was the one I bought.

You call 30 incompatible string functions, no math library, and a broken
setjmp.h implementing section 3????  At the time, Wizard was selling a
compiler that emulated a full System III library with MS-DOS extensions that
was at least as bug free as Lattice 2.1[34] (not sure which version was
current).

>Also, I don't have any #ifdef LATTICE statements. I do have a couple
>of #ifdef IBMPC, but that's because the IBM-PC doesn't implement ioctl
>and stat. :->  How many macros do you use that extend over 1 line anyway?

Well, you must never use realloc, since realloc is not implemented in Lattice
2.15 and below.  Furthermore, since Lattice doesn't support struct assignment,
I end up with lots of multiline macros to fake the struct assignment.  Also,
Lattice apparently never heard of unsigned long, since Lattice barfs on it.

>Anyway, if uSoft 'C' is particularly UNIX-library-compatible I'd like to
>know about it.  I'm always looking for anything to help my massive porting
>habit.

As far as I can tell, Microsoft C is a port of their Xenix C compiler to
MS-DOS.  At least the library looks like a bunch of Xenix functions.

Happy with Wizard C,

Eric C. Brown
brownc at utah-cs
...!{ihnp4, seismo, decvax}!utah-cs!brownc