VAX VMS C / UNIX C Compatibility -- Need Info

Dave Brower daveb at rtech.UUCP
Fri Aug 9 17:44:11 AEST 1985

> Is the VAX VMS C-compiler compatible with UNIX?  That is, can I take
> C files that compiled under UNIX and compile them under VMS with no
> changes other than the shell commands inside of system() calls?

No.  You will likely need to run some sed scripts over things to take
into account different # include statement syntax.  DEC-C also does not
know about the void type.  These are mostly annoyances, not show
stoppers.

> Another thing I'm looking for under VMS is the ability to load both
> C and FORTRAN object files into one executable. Does anyone know if
> this works?

Yes.  This is a BIG selling point.  Almost all of DEC's language
products use a compatible calling convention and object format.

--
{amdahl|dual|sun|zehntel}\		|"If his brains ran down, how could
{ucbvax|decvax}!mtxinu---->!rtech!daveb |he talk?"