unlimited length identifiers, and question about arrays of void fun()

Geoff Kuenning geoff at desint.UUCP
Fri Jan 11 19:57:53 AEST 1985

In article <7079 at brl-tgr.ARPA> "Leigh L. Klotz" <KLOTZ at BBNG.ARPA> writes:

>Instead of hacking the compiler to hash names, how about writing
>a program in C which grovels over the source files and produces an
>include file containing definitions like
>
>#define find_largest_mersenne_prime_unless_its_tuesday G00001
>
>which are included in every file in the make via the -I flag.

Um, you just ran yourself into the old PCC fixed-size-string-table problem.
If you try that trick on large programs, especially ones that already have
lots of #defines, the preprocessor will bomb on a string space overflow.
Pretty useful for small ones, though.

>Also, there was some discussion recently about arrays of pointers
>to functions returning void not working in PCC.  We've recently been
>bitten by this and I was wondering what the upshot of the discussion was.
>If there's a solution other than just not using void declarations on
>the functions, I'd like to hear about it.

I have been using -Dvoid=int except when I lint things.  Someday, when I get
a compiler that handles voids correctly, I'll take that out.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff