Converting FORTRAN to C

Brandon Allbery the tame hacker on the North Coast bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Thu Jan 17 09:21:06 AEST 1985

+----------------
| Sure they do; they just don't take up any memory.  They're pointer-valued
| constants, just as a is itself.  a[2] is a constant, just as if it was
| declared as   int (*a2)[2];  --Why shouldn't it be?

Because, since they LOOK like independent pointers, programmers may (try
to) USE them as independent pointers.  And it can confuse related issues, such
as the use of "environ".  It sure confused ME until I figured out that
they lied about [] usage being identical to *.

--bsa
--
   Brandon Allbery @ decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa (..ncoast!tdi1!bsa business)
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio 44131  +1 216 524 1416 (or what have you)