using break <label> instead of goto <label>

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Wed Jan 16 04:30:45 AEST 1985

>     People keep hoping for the magic panacea that will ensure automatic
>     correctness of their programs.  Last year it was Ada; this year it
>     is knowledge-based program writing systems; next year it will
>     be something else.  I keep seeing the same ideas attempted over and
>     over as the years go by.  The one idea that works, to think clearly
>     and carefully, has not found much favor.
>
> It has not found much favor because it does not work well.  Consider
> the lifecycle of an average software package.  Currently, for *ANY*
> software package, you should expect to spend at least half of your
> budget on maintenance.

I fail to see how this contradicts anything Doug said.  Unless, of
course, you add an implicit "...and your maintenance programmers will
be dolts, incapable of clear and careful thought"!
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology