optimizing compilers vs. optimizing programmers

Randy Buckland rcb at rti-sel.UUCP
Thu Jan 17 12:54:38 AEST 1985

> To those that argue that Bliss is no better than assembly language let
> me say that tests done by DEC indicate that the Bliss-32 compiler
> produces code better than that written by experienced assembly language
> programmers.

			HAH!!!!!!!!

	For the bare language, I might agree. However, any macro programmer
worth the name after a year or so will have developed a set of macros
that enable high level constructs but still allow precise control of
the machine. I personally have a set of macros that give me more
high level capabilities that C does. My assembler programs are more
readable and easier to modify than any bliss program that I have
ever seen. Maybe the compiler uses an odd instruction that takes 3
nanoseconds less than the one I used. Mine is usually more logical
and easier to understand.

					Randy Buckland
					Research Triangle Institute
					...!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb