optimizing compilers vs. optimizing programmers

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Wed Jan 30 08:40:14 AEST 1985

> Ironically, BLISS-32 ran native on the VAX long before the assembler did --
> the assembler was written in PDP-11 assembler, and was used for a long time
> from PDP-11 compatibilty mode. I believe the current assembler is written
> in BLISS (no?).

Some of us suspected all along that PDP-11 compatibility mode existed mostly
so that DEC could be lazy about moving its support software.  This explains
why compatibility mode does not support floating-point or split-space:  the
DEC software never used either.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology