break/goto

Michael Mc Namara mac at tesla.UUCP
Wed Jan 30 12:58:28 AEST 1985

> In article <7404 at brl-tgr.ARPA> cottrell at nbs-vms.ARPA "comments":
> >/*
> >martin minow @decvax.uucp mentions a programmer who uses
> >
> >	label:	...
> >		goto label;
> >
> >to delimit an outer loop that goes on for pages as you can easily
> >lose track of nesting levels.
> >
> >flame:	anyone who does that ....
> >nice:	please dont write code like that. each funxion should
> >	be entirely on one page. use form feeds to separate pages.
> >	thank you.
> >*/
>
> 1. Ok.  Fine.  Putting form-feeds in the code may make sense to you.
>    There are just a few problems with this.  Namely, the V7 compiler
>    would barf on an illegal character, if you two column your output
>    using pr(1) (to save paper...) pr dies horrible deaths on the
>    form-feed character, you infuriate me because I (sometimes) like to
>    have my printout two column.
>
> 2. DON'T YOU DARE TELL ME HOW TO WRITE MY CODE!!!!
>
>    I'LL MESS IT UP IN MY OWN WAY, THANK YOU!!!!

	Yeah!  The last CS cource I took, where the grader (who didn't
understand "C" to save her life) chocked of about 25% of style grade
because she liked little idiosynchronisities like correct spelling :-)
in comments and big blocks around comments, et cetera, also left no password
set on her account....

	Who could blame the frustrated little hacker, discovering this, from
creating a nice .login that (1) printed a "cute" message giving that hacker's
opinion of her grading methods; (2) copied the .login to some safe place;
(3) moved in a generic .login; (4) and when she logged off, an at(1) script
copied back in the "neat" .login?

	A little check three days later showed [1] A password set;
[2] the .login scam STILL working!!!!

	The hacker felt a *little* sorry for the grader.

/*  The next program the hacker turned in HAD nice comment   */
/*  blocks.....                                              */