From C to FORTRAN with FORTRIX

Arthur Rosenthal arthur at aecom.UUCP
Thu Jan 3 02:41:08 AEST 1985

> -- Fortrix can only handle 1 program unit per file.
>
> -- Fortrix doesn't understand common blocks and equivalence statements.
> -- It's slow and cumbersome.  It consists of a couple of programs plus
> awk/sed/shell scripts.
>... and you need
> a password to use it.
> 	Can not handle:
> 		1) Free form reads and writes
> 		2) Dimension a(...) must be Real a(...), etc.
> 		3) Things must be typed everywhere, else a problem
> 			(I do not fully understand this one)
> 		4) Data statements
> 		5) Assigned go to
> 		6) Backspace
>		7) Holleriths
>		8) Common
>		9) Equivalence
>		10> Constants as arguments to subroutines

I must offer a few brief updates to some of the comments in the
origional article.
FORTRIXC interprets common, equivalence, and data statements.
It has the capacity for implicit typing to match Fortrans.
It accepts dimension statements.
It passes constants, variables, arrays, and expressions to subroutines
It never used an awk script and no longer uses any scripts, consisting
   of one executable program.
Backspace, hollerith constants, and multiple routines in single files
   have been announced.
The password is in an imbedded file and doesn't inconvenience the
   users
My sympathies to the companie that rm -rf'ed as all of the above came
   as upgrades to early purchasers.  Rapitech has announced a pricing
upgrade for some time this year to $4200.