optimizing compilers vs. optimizing programmers

Rob Warnock rpw3 at redwood.UUCP
Thu Jan 17 13:22:44 AEST 1985

+---------------
| In the end, VMS got written mostly in assembler anyway (unless they have
| gone and re-coded later version, which I doubt, but stranger things
| have happened). I have it from several sources that the reason this
| happened was because a certain prominent DEC individual decided that
| no compiler could write code as good as his assembler (ie it wouldn't
| be fast enough). So much for consistency...
| Laura Creighton
| utzoo!laura
+---------------

My understanding is that there was a single kernel guru who stood in
the way, even after several code-offs had shown that BLISS-32 was as fast
(AND as small) as assembler. So the kernel is in assembler, but the system
utilities and some of the driver ACPs are in BLISS. (The VAX really is
a "BLISS machine".)

Ironically, BLISS-32 ran native on the VAX long before the assembler did --
the assembler was written in PDP-11 assembler, and was used for a long time
from PDP-11 compatibilty mode. I believe the current assembler is written
in BLISS (no?).

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!dual}!fortune!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	510 Trinidad Lane, Foster City, CA  94404