Need 286 "C" benchmark

Phil Ngai phil at amdcad.UUCP
Tue Jun 4 10:17:49 AEST 1985

In article <293 at celerity.UUCP> ron at celerity.UUCP (Ron McDaniels) writes:
>If 64k segments aren't a problem and the "large system model" is so
>blasted good (if you like to go into interpretive mode when you
>execute), why does the 386 have a 32-bit segment length? 64k segments
>are architecturally stinko. I realize you still have to sell chips so
>that you can pay the bills, but stop making silly comparisons.

I read the enclosed quote from Ken Shoemaker and nowhere do I see that he
says 64K segments aren't a problem. What he does say is for programs
that require less than 64K of data, a 286 competes nicely with a 68020.

I enclose the quote in question below.

--
 There's always tomorrow.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720