C Interpreters - Any Experiences???

QTEST qtest at whuxl.UUCP
Thu Jun 27 00:28:27 AEST 1985

> I've seen ad's for C interpreters from a variety of places (cost
> ranging from $129 to $500); do people out there have any significant
> experience??  [Note that they all run on MSDOS machines, I haven't
> seen ads for VAX based ones].
>
> Key factors are: Any deviations from K&R?  What libraries are supplied?
> Can you include assembler programs?  Size limitations of source code?
>
> Ihor Kinal
A C interpreter does exist that runs on UNIX* SV_R2 and Berkeley 4.2, together
with Xenix. For VAX, 3B2/300, 68000 and as well as proprietary architectures.
It will also run on the PC under MD-DOS.

The interpreter is called SMART/C**. What follows is from the data I have
about SMARTC/C:

The SMART/C Environment
*	Fully intergrated editor AND interpreter.
*	One command set.
*	Move between the editor and the interpreter at will.

SMART/C syntax directed editor:
*	Full K & R standard.
*	Vi-like command set.
*	Automatically provides formats blocks, for, case and if statements.

SMART/C Interpreter:
*	Current module can call external modules during interpretation.
*	Has include capability.
*	Totally precompilation - no incremental compile.
*	Can interpret partially defined files allowing for rapid prototyping.
*	Variable speed of interpretation.
*	Multiple windows with user define sizes.

SMART/C Migrator:
*	Allows C code produces with any editor to be interpreted by
	SMART/C.
*	Reformats for readability.

With reference to the Key factors questions above:
SMART/C is a full K & R standard. Currently only the stdio library can
be used. The next release thay say will handle used defined libraries.
SMART/C does not support inline assembly code currently. As far as I am
aware there is no limitation on size of source code. The only limitation
is the disk size.

Costs:
SMART/C is available for the PC running MS-DOS for $495.
The cost increases depending on the size of the machine, up to a VAX780
at, I understand to be $9995.

SMART/C is available from:
	AGS Computers Inc., Advance Product Division, 1139 Spruce Drive,
	Mountainside, NJ, 07092. Phone # 1-800-AGS-1313 & (201)-654-4321.

*UNIX is a trade mark of AT&T Bell Labs.
**SMART/C is a trade mark of AGS Computers Inc.

Comments?
		{ihnp4}whuxl!qtest