Fortran to C translator

x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Wed Jun 12 07:09:09 AEST 1985

> In article <> nunes at utai.UUCP writes:
> >
> >   A friend of mine is looking for a Fortran to C translator. The names
> >of translators, the names of their manufactures, and possibly any
> >useful information about them would be greatly appreciated.
> >   Thanks in advance.
>
> I don't have an answer... but the documentation to the unix f77 compiler
> states that the compiler produces intermediate C code.  [......]
> Peter S. Shenkin			philabs!cubsvax!peters

No, it produces "C intermediate code".  This is the intermediate code that the
C compiler produces between pass 1 and pass 2.  According to the SVR1
manual, the f77 compiler on SysV uses
	/usr/lib/f77pass1	f77 compiler
	/lib/c1			pass 2 of C compiler
	/lib/c2			optimizer
	/bin/as
	/bin/ld

but it doesn't use /lib/cpp (the preprocessor), or the C compiler pass 1
(/lib/ccom, /lib/c0, or /usr/lib/comp, depending on version & machine).
(Actually, on a Vax 11/780 running System V, there's a /lib/f1, and the
3B-20 running SVR2 has /usr/lib/f77pass2 (documented!)).
--
	Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs
Wizardry at reasonable rates