Fortran to C translator

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Wed Jun 12 10:45:11 AEST 1985

> I don't have an answer... but the documentation to the unix f77 compiler
> states that the compiler produces intermediate C code.

The only "UNIX f77 compiler" that can be considered an "official" F77
compiler is the compiler that comes with standard UNIX releases from AT&T,
and which is supplied in much-modified form with 4.2BSD.  I don't know about
your documentation, but my documentation says nothing about producing
intermediate C code because the "f77" compiler doesn't produce C code.  The
first pass of the compiler *does* produce intermediate code that is then
turned into machine code (well, assembly code) by a back end made out of the
portable C compiler, but that's it.  No C code is produced anywhere.

	Guy Harris