Need Pascal to C translator

Garry Wiegand jtp at lasspvax.UUCP
Thu Nov 21 05:51:49 AEST 1985

I have a more unusual need: PL/1 -> C!  We are succumbing to popular
opinion and converting about 25K lines of VMS PL/1, and it's gonna be a pain.

I already with through the exercise of changing a 10,000 line package,
and it took months before all the bugs were out! &'s and *'s in
procedure calls and parameters turned out to be the major source
of lurking problems.

We did not have a copy of Lint then --- it would have been *some* help,
but it seems to be hard to get it to check usage between separately
compiled unit. The only way I can think of to get it to check for consistent
by reference/by value parameter usage in such cases is to concatenate
all 25K lines into one huge file, start the check, and come back tomorrow.

Needless to say, since it will take many many such cycles, is there a
better way to apply Lint to the problem?

(PS - PL/1 to C translators cheerfully accepted!)

Garry Wiegand
garry%geology at cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu  (arpa)