More on MIX C

Walter Bright bright at dataioDataio.UUCP
Tue Nov 12 03:54:45 AEST 1985

In article <218 at mips.UUCP> kim at mips.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>> 	- There is no mechanism for linking assembler programs to the C
>> 	  programs.  There *is* a mechanism for calling assembler programs,
>I talked to the MIX.C folk the other day on this very point.  The person
>I spoke to told me that they would have a utility very soon (actually, he
>said "in a couple of weeks") to convert Intel/Microsoft .obj format files
>into something the MIX linker could handle.

I am constantly surprised why compiler vendors keep inventing their own
.obj file formats. It complicates life for both the vendor and the
customer. The vendor has to write a linker and librarian, and perpetually
try to help people who want to link in assembler or Fortran modules. The
customer has to continually deal with a 'kludge' and object file
conversion programs.
The Intel .obj format isn't a secret either, Intel publishes a spec for
it (though I would vote it for the 'Most Obtuse Document' award).