More on MIX C

Kim DeVaughn kim at mips.UUCP
Thu Nov 7 17:37:05 AEST 1985

[ ... go ahead, eat my bits ... ]

> 	- There is no mechanism for linking assembler programs to the C
> 	  programs.  There *is* a mechanism for calling assembler programs,

I talked to the MIX.C folk the other day on this very point.  The person
I spoke to told me that they would have a utility very soon (actually, he
said "in a couple of weeks") to convert Intel/Microsoft .obj format files
into something the MIX linker could handle;  I *think* he said it would
be able to go the other way also, but I may be mistaken on that.  He
suggested I call them back to check on availability in early November.
The cost will be "nominal" (~$5.00, or so), I was told.

I also asked if they would publish the object format they are using.  He
didn't seem to see the need for that (given the conversion utility), but
thought that he might be able to make a 1 or 2 page description available
if I really needed it (a nice, helpful attitude ... very refreshing!)

He offered this information on an "undocumented feature" of MIX.C:

  "After searching CLIB.MIX, if there are still unresolved references,
  a library called LINKER.MIX will be automatically searched also."

He said they also plan to come out with several other libraries in the
future (and I noticed the names PLIB.MIX and BLIB.MIX in one area of
linker.com that needs to be patched with debug to configure it for a
hard-disk).

I haven't used MIX.C too much yet ... mostly just a few experiments to
verify that I had patched cc.com and linker.com correctly (they omitted
some of the instructions on my copy, but have corrected that oversight
by now).  Anyway, I'm satisfied that I got my money's worth, and as I
mentioned earlier, I like their "bedside manner" over the telephone, and
their responsiveness to customer requests.  I guess the only gripe I do
have is having to patch the .com files to do the hard-disk configuration;
an install program would be alot more "professional", and in this case,
it would be a pretty simple piece of code.  I really can't complain very
loudly on this tho ... for $39.95, its a real bargin.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with MIX Software Inc., except as a
            satisfied customer.

/kim
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   415-960-1200