How long is a string?

John Mashey mash at mips.UUCP
Tue Nov 26 19:32:30 AEST 1985

Does anybody have any statistics or pointers thereto on the
dynamic frequencies/usage of string lengths found in the use of the
str* and (on Sys V) mem* functions?
I'll accept, with thanks, any data I can get, summarize, and repost to the net.

I'd love to get data like:
	In a day's usage on a busy machine, the distribution of string lengths
	given to strcpy was: 0: X%, 1, Y%, etc.
[If you can give me that, I'll sing your praises for a long time!]
Failing the above, I'd be glad to hear things like:
	I was profiling command Y, and here is the call count, avg time/call,
	and % total CPU time for the few top-running string functions.
--
-john mashey
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash