if (p) ...

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Sun Nov 3 08:50:18 AEST 1985

In article <2910 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:
>The definition of the C language requires that NULL be ZERO (how many times
>do people have to be told this?).  ...

I really hate contradicting Guy, especially when I don't have my
references at hand.  But my memory tells me that 0 should convert
to the NULL pointer, not necessarily be it.  Guy's hand compilation
a few lines earlier shows how:

>2) the statement
>	if (p) foo();
>should have compiled into something like
>	compare_immediate	p, #07777/0	# seg 7777, loc 0
>	beq			around
>	subroutine_call		foo
>around:

This is recent in my accessible memory because this issue has been
DISCUSSED TO DEATH n times already.  Please do not respond.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}