Good C Books

COTTRELL, JAMES cottrell at NBS-VMS.ARPA
Thu Oct 17 04:57:03 AEST 1985

/*
> I have two book on C, one on the basics of the language and the other covers
> library functions and additions that can be made. Both are by Que
> Publishing (C Programmers Guide and the C Programmers Library).
>
> Are there any good C books for intermediate to advanced programmers?

I am tempted to say that there is only one C book that has a right to
exist, namely K&R. But I'll be mellow instead.

The reason I'm inclined that way is the profusion of C/UNIX books which
are aimed at tyros. In fact, the computer sexion of many bookstores is
rather dismal, being composed mainly of `BASIC for the Trash-80' or
`How to use Visicalc under CP/M' type of stuff. Gimme `Threaded
Interpreted Languages' or Knuth, you know, computer *science* instead
of `computers for the masses'.

Why do it again when the definitive version was done by K&R?
Oh yeah, for the money of course!

	jim		cottrell at nbs
*/
------