C Target Environments?

berger at datacube.UUCP berger at datacube.UUCP
Thu Oct 17 01:51:00 AEST 1985

Any recomendations on prom based target environments for C execution?
I am looking for alternatives for C environments that  can be totally
prommed running on 680x0's on VME and Multibus.

Ideally  they  should  be  able  to  cover  the  range  from  simple,
inexpensive totally prommed systems to systems that have  disks and a
file system.  They should  be able  to deal  with serial  ports in an
intelligent way.  It should be easy to add device drivers.  It should
allow special "user" programs to run in supervisor  mode and directly
access any memory location without overhead.

This  executive  should have  cool runtime  support of  C programs so
programs and drivers can be easily transported from unix
applications.  Ideally it should support the Unix System V Interface
Definition (Hey its a standard) where appropriate (serial port
control, opens, pipes, semaphores, etc).  Can be a super-set where
you need the real-time control.

Another requirement  is a  good source  and low-level  debuggers.  It
would be nice if there was a C-interpreter available as well!

It also should not cost an arm and a leg both to get started and to
license.

Some producst I'm looking at (They mostly don't meet the above ideals):
	PDOS
	PSOS
	OS9
	VRTX
	MTOS
	C Executive

I'd love to see reviews of any of the above.  It would be nice if people
have experience several of them, to compare and contrast them.

			Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644

ihnp4!datacube!berger
decvax!cca!mirror!datacube!berger
{mit-eddie,cyb0vax}!mirror!datacube!berger