Why are typedef names in the same name space as variable names?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Wed Dec 10 08:00:21 AEST 1986

> > Can you name a few?  Extern is the way it has always been in C; compilers
> > which default to static are broken.  (Please don't cite C++, that isn't C.)
>
> The default storage class specifiers are identical in C and C++ so the glib
> remark about C++ is irellevant in the context...

Some private correspondence with Bjarne has cleared up a misunderstanding
on my part.  I was misled by (a) some confusing differences in terminology
between C and the C++ book, and (b) the fact that early, pre-book, versions
of C++ did indeed default to "static" (in the C meaning).  Bjarne comments:
"This was probably the right decision in the abstract, but in actual use it
created so much resistance and confusion that I backed off."
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology