Why are typedef names in the same name space as variable names?

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Mon Dec 15 14:49:42 AEST 1986

In article <4647 at ism780c.UUCP> tim at ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>	main() { a; a = 1; }
>Every C compiler I have tried complains about an undeclared variable on
>line 2.  If "a" is a global, they have no problem:
>	a; main() { a = 1; }

This is an illegal declaration, anyway.  Declarations must contain
at least one "storage class" specifier or one "type" specifier.  A
compiler that accepts the above is exhibiting a bug, not a feature.

*** Stamp out programs that put arbitrary decrees on text shape ***
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy at hadron.COM (not yet domainised)