draft ANSI standard: needs your tomatoes

Dave Decot decot at hpisod2.HP
Tue Dec 16 13:33:20 AEST 1986

> The constants EXTERNAL_NAME_LENGTH (6), INCLUDE_FILES_NEST
> (4), and SOURCE_LINE_LENGTH (509) in particular seem to be very
> inadequate.  ...  		A compiler that won't accept a
> 600-line input file is clearly sub-standard and almost useless, and I
> object to the ANSII committee approving of this limitation.

I don't know about the others, but SOURCE_LINE_LENGTH is not the minimum
allowable maximum number of lines in a source file, it's the minimum allowable
maximum length of *each* source line.  Personally, I'd like to see that
particular value set to 128, so I can fit listings on my lineprinter.

Dave Decot
hpda!decot