draft ANSI standard: needs your tomatoes

Darius Ragheb dragheb at isis.UUCP
Sun Dec 21 05:17:25 AEST 1986

In article <2550002 at hpisod2.HP> decot at hpisod2.HP (Dave Decot) writes:
>> The constants EXTERNAL_NAME_LENGTH (6), INCLUDE_FILES_NEST
>> (4), and SOURCE_LINE_LENGTH (509) in particular seem to be very
>> object to the ANSII committee approving of this limitation.

>maximum length of *each* source line.  Personally, I'd like to see that
>particular value set to 128, so I can fit listings on my lineprinter.

Hmm. Why not just stick to the zero, one, infinite principle: if you are
going to support something (like the length of a line (:-) or the nesting
levels), why, either allow one level, or an infinite number (obviously there
will be an upper limit, probably machine dependant that will never be reached,
but why build an upper limit that is some arbitrary number like 4 or 6....
that is as bad as the old FORTRAN limit of 7 dimensions for an array....
where did that number come from?)

--
Functionality, Efficiency, Luxury.

isis!dragheb  |  dragheb at isis.cs.du.edu