ANSI C -- static forward references

Martin Minow minow at decvax.UUCP
Wed Dec 17 09:29:20 AEST 1986

Discussing my suggestion to change the interaction between "static"
and "extern", Doug Gwyn (@ brl-smoke) notes that the Draft Standard's
semantics were designed to permit one-pass compilation.

Are there still true one-pass compilers being written today?  My impression
is that the minimum hardware being sold today is something on the order
of a Macintosh or Atari ST, both of which support full-featured, multi-pass
compilers.  I would much prefer the Standard be written for the current
(and future) "minimum" computer, rather than for some very limited
10-year old microcomputer.

Martin Minow
decvax!minow