fast code and no morals:

SOWELL%FSU.MFENET at LLL-MFE.ARPA SOWELL%FSU.MFENET at LLL-MFE.ARPA
Tue Feb 18 05:40:06 AEST 1986

>>exit(0);
>  This isn't portable to VMS. ...Does anybody care about VMS, though?...

Yes I care about VMS.  While UNIX is a great OS, it is not the be all or
end all that many UNIX junkies think it is.  The documentation is crummy!

As for 0 being an undefined status code, the "Programming in VAX 11-C" manual
(N.B. I have no experience about this) says that a status of 0 signifies a
warning. So it is defined!  Not conventionally, I grant you, but that
should pose no problem to the well organized programmer :-).

#ifdef  VMS
#define WARNING 0       /* these can be kept in a local include file */
#define SUCCESS 1
#define ERROR   2
#endif  /* VMS */

...  error(SUCCESS);

Glenn Sowell
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL

sowell%fsu.mfe at lll-mfenet.arpa