Threading in C (Re: RRe: What's so good about FORTH?

Gregory Smith greg at utcsri.UUCP
Thu Jul 17 00:01:46 AEST 1986

In article <223 at cci632.UUCP> rb at ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard) writes:
>There seems to be a little confusion about threading here.  All that is
>*really* required for threading is a parameter stack that is separate
>from the program/return stack.

The DEC PDP-11 FORTRAN compiler can produce threaded code, and only uses
the hardware stack. If you want the language to be stack-based ( from
the point of view of the programmer, i.e. expressions in RPN ) and you
want data pushed by a caller to be poppable by the callee, then separate
stacks are the best way to do it. That is a characteristic of forth, but
I don't think that it is a characteristic of threaded code.

--
"You'll need more than a Tylenol if you don't tell me where my father is!"
						- The Ice Pirates