C cross-compiler wanted for Z8000

billj at zaphod.UUCP billj at zaphod.UUCP
Wed Jul 16 11:11:13 AEST 1986

Our company produces real-time networking systems which are written in C to
run on Zilog Z8001 processors.  We presently do the final code development
on a number of Zilog S8000 machines, but their speed limitations and the
fragmentation of our project code are causing significant headaches, and
we're looking for a cross-compiler system to run on our UNIX VAX and
produce segmented Z8000 (i.e. Z8001) code.  Of the ones we've evaluated or
seen advertised, none seem to implement full Version 7 or better C with
decent code generation and without crippling bugs, and we're beginning to
wonder if such a beast exists.  Our preferred criteria are that the
compiler should

    - run under UNIX, specifically Ultrix-32 (4.2 BSD).

    - implement full Version 7 or better C (enums, and structures
      by value; and preferably voids) with full support of unsigned
      quantities, particularly unsigned char.  We do not need floating
      point.

    - produce code which is correct, suitable for ROM execution and, in
      both time and space, at least reasonably close to the level of
      optimization achieved by the S8000 native compiler.  This means
      having a well-tuned code generator, or an optimizer postpass, or
      both.

    - produce an image which is in the Zilog s.out format, and therefore
      downloadable to Zilog emulators.

    - ideally, have behaviour similar to the scc/cas/sld compiler package
      on ZEUS (Zilog's UNIX), including their formats for object and
      library files and command options, and the ability of the loader
      to pack segments automatically.

Although we may be able to deal with incompatibilities in the last two
criteria, the first three are pretty well iron-clad:  we have a large body
of existing software which we're not very eager to rewrite to compensate
for an inadequate compiler.

If anyone on the list has knowledge of, or better yet experience with a
cross-compiler system along these lines, we'd be very happy to hear from
them.  I will summarize any positive responses to the net.
--
Bill Jones, Develcon Electronics, 856 51 St E, Saskatoon S7K 5C7 Canada
uucp:  ...ihnp4!sask!zaphod!billj                phone:  (306) 931-1504