ALGOL begat LISP?

Root Boy Jim rbj at icst-cmr.ARPA
Fri Jul 18 01:18:30 AEST 1986

	>LISP and Pascal are both descendants of Algol 60.

I find this hard to believe, considering that Algol is procedural
(normal) and LISP is expressional (weird (interesting)).

Put another way, and abstracting quite a bit, there are really only a
few languages: fortran, cobol, PL/I, pascal, basic, and C ARE ALL
THE SAME LANGUAGE (I know, that thought hurts). The OTHER languages
are LISP, APL, SNOBOL, FORTH, and probably PROLOG and SMALLTALK, altho
I don't know anything about the last two. They may even be `the same'.

This is like saying that Spanish, French, and Italian are `all the
same' language and that the others are the Oriental (all the same)
and possibly equating English with German.

I'm sure there are others that exist in both analogies.
We need a place for assembly language in there somewhere.

Don't take this any too seriously, it's just random thoughts.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	I'm in direct contact with many advanced fun CONCEPTS.