C vs. FORTRAN

Lyle Meier ldm at texhrc.UUCP
Wed Jul 6 13:14:53 AEST 1988

In article <546 at philmds.UUCP>, leo at philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:
.
.
.

> How does FORTRAN b.t.w. handle the situation that there is a variable
> arguments list (cf. printf()) ? Seems a bit difficult with 'static lists'.
> Probably does not....

According to the fortran 77 standard variable arguements are not allowed
between fortran programs, and the issue is not specified with respect to
other languages (They don't exist as far as the standard is concerned).
We ran into this issue in trying to build a binding of posix to fortran,
where we had to either break the number of characters in a variable name
(6) or the variable arguement list problem. We chose to break the name
length issue.
I believe the standard says the arguements must agree in number and type
between the caller and the callee.