C vs. FORTRAN

Steven Ryan smryan at garth.UUCP
Tue Jul 5 10:27:30 AEST 1988

>How does FORTRAN b.t.w. handle the situation that there is a variable
>arguments list (cf. printf()) ? Seems a bit difficult with 'static lists'.
>Probably does not....

It is important to realise that a variable length argument list is variable
length from the called routine's point of view, not the caller's--it has the
argument list right there in its greedy little hands.

I saw two methods: a 170 appends a zero word terminator to the argument list.
A 205 passes the argument list length in the length field of argument list
point.