Leo's ANSI C Flame

mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 7 23:22:00 AEST 1988

> Can ANSI copyright its name and prevent people from advertising 99.44%
> compatibiltiy? I believe that this is done with TeX.
> Shouldn't this discussion be moved to comp.languages.c or some such?

I think you'll find that, when ANSI C becomes real, very, very few people
will actually USE real ANSI C compilers. They use the fixed version
without trigraphs, with some sort of no-alias perversion, and a
few non-standard (i.e. they modify the generated code) pragmas, and
with, probably, a bit of name-space pollution.
Most compilers will require a special command line switch to get
full compatibility with the standard.