Leo's ANSI C Flame

Peter da Silva peter at sugar.UUCP
Wed Jul 6 10:19:17 AEST 1988

In article <653 at osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu>, vkr at osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
> In article <2244 at sugar.UUCP>, peter at sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> > My personal bitch is with compiler writers that implement part of the draft
> > and surprise you.

> Can ANSI copyright its name and prevent people from advertising 99.44%
> compatibiltiy? I believe that this is done with TeX.
> Shouldn't this discussion be moved to comp.languages.c or some such?

Yeh, probably.

Thing is, said compiler writer didn't advertise ANSI compatibility. They just
put the features in as part of what I surmise is a gradual improvement effort.
It could be they didn't even get them from ANSI. Oh well...

It's a bummer when they put in structure passing without function prototyping,
and you accidentally screw up and forget an & in passing a pointer to a
structure. If you had function prototyping it'd say "hey, bonehead, you said
the function took a pointer". If you didn't have structure passing it'd say
"hey, bonehead, you can't pass a structure to a function". Instead it just
happily takes the first couple of elements of the structure as a pointer and
scribbles on memory. Oh well, I only made that particular mistake half a
dozen times. I don't do it much any more.
--
-- `-_-' Peter (have you hugged your wolf today?) da Silva.
--   U   Mail to ...!uunet!sugar!peter, flames to /dev/null.