Unnecessary parenthesis

Michael T Sullivan sullivan at vsi.UUCP
Sat Jul 9 05:36:20 AEST 1988

In article <2550075 at hpisod2.HP.COM>, decot at hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:

> Return is not a function call, and it shouldn't look like one.
>
> > >	return(0);	/* one wonders why the () are there */
> >
> > 1) Because it looks consistent.
>
> With what?  Why do you want to make it easier to confuse function calls
> with statements that don't come back?

Like exit() or abort()???

> I see no reason to add further confusion by making flow control look like
> a function call.  I use "return e;" because it's less cluttered and more
> distinct.

When I have something like:

	return(a == b ? c : d);

I think it looks better than:

	return a == b ? c : d;

Maybe if return had a space between the paren like while, for, and switch
everybody would be happy (and there'd be peace in the world, and no more
smog, ...).  I think I'll try that for a while and see how it goes.

--
Michael Sullivan			{uunet|attmail}!vsi!sullivan
V-Systems, Inc.  Santa Ana, CA		sullivan at vsi.com
ons, workstations, workstations, workstations, workstations, workstations, work