Annoyingly necessary spaces

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sat Jul 9 03:51:44 AEST 1988

In article <11812 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba at garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
>What I want to know is when the illegality of "i=++j" or the old-fashioned
>syntax default of "s=*++t" and "m=--n" is going to go away.  Is this just
>a cloying Berkeleyism?

Yes.  AT&T C compilers stopped supporting the =op form years ago.

>Will ANSI C make a difference, or is the weight of tons of old-fashioned
>code going to decide matters?

I believe there aren't many C compilers other than ones derived from
the old version of PCC that Berkeley shipped that still support =op.
ANSI C simply canonicalizes actual modern practice; I doubt that it
will much affect the rate at which =op vanishes, except perhaps that
as Standard conformance is required in future procurements more old
code will end up finally getting fixed.