Help me translate into C

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Fri Jul 8 05:37:59 AEST 1988

  I recently got a really nice bunch of software written in a C-like
language. It's some proprietary version like Turbo-C, or something. I
need someone to explain what some of the proprietary constructs do.

  First "pascal." On old versions of VMS this meant it was expected to
call a Pascal procedure, however all procedures are written in almost-C.
Second "cdecl." I know it was in dpANS briefly, but I don't see it in my
old copy and the new one hasn't arrived yet.

  A macro "SEEK_SET" as the third argument of lseek. From context it
appears to be a macro with a conditional evaluation, since the values 0,
1, or 2 don't make sense in all places. Anyone have a clue?

  It also uses a few things like O_BINARY which means untranslated on
systems having funny filetypes like DOS and VMS.

  If anyone has a clue I'd really appreciate it. I have enough trouble
with real C, and haven't bothered to learn all the versions which only
run on machines from a single vendor or one a single OS.

  Mail or post, if I get any info or find out the answers here I'll post
the results.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)