Help me translate into C

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Fri Jul 8 13:02:34 AEST 1988

In article <11475 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>First "pascal."

That indicates that a Pascal-compatible calling sequence is to be used
for the function so labeled.  This is normally needed only when using
externally-provided library routines compiled under Pascal.  If your
version of such routines have C-compatible interfaces, remove the
"pascal" keywords or #define them as nothing.

>Second "cdecl."

That indicates that a C-compatible calling sequence is to be used for
the function so labeled.  Just drop the "cdecl" keywords or #define
them as nothing.

>I know it [cdecl] was in dpANS briefly, ...

I don't think so; certainly not while I've been on the committee.
It would make no sense to include it in the C Standard, since it
would have to be a no-op.

>  A macro "SEEK_SET" as the third argument of lseek.

On any UNIX-compatible system this has to be defined as 0.

>  It also uses a few things like O_BINARY which means untranslated on
>systems having funny filetypes like DOS and VMS.

The ANSI C equivalent would be the "b" mode suffix for the various
standard I/O routines fopen(), freopen().  On any UNIX-compatible
system there is no distinction between text and binary file modes,
so O_BINARY can be removed (or #defined as 0).