Annoyingly necessary spaces

Obnoxious Math Grad Student weemba at garnet.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 8 22:20:52 AEST 1988

I really like the "return xx" vs "return(xx)" issue.  But, hey, you get to
choose.

What I want to know is when the illegality of "i=++j" or the old-fashioned
syntax default of "s=*++t" and "m=--n" is going to go away.  Is this just
a cloying Berkeleyism?  Will ANSI C make a difference, or is the weight of
tons of old-fashioned code going to decide matters?

It can't be too difficult to put in a "-pg40" compiler flag, meaning "pro-
grammer is under 40 years old, and doesn't care to hear about how all the
overgrown hippies programmed once upon time", or something to that effect.

If I wanted a language where I had to put extra blanks around operators,
I'd program in COBOL.  (And no, I'm not a reformed APL hacker.)

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720