case sensitivity

S. Manoharan sam at lfcs.ed.ac.uk
Fri Apr 28 19:29:26 AEST 1989

Chris writes:

>As a matter of fact, I WOULD want to have to distinguish identifiers named
>myFunc, myfunc, Myfunc, MyFunc, and MYFUNC.  I have done this in the
>past, for example, when I typedef a struct to 'NODE', then declare a
>variable as 'NODE *node'.  I find this quite easy to read.
>
>People have been saying things such as, "Humans are case-insensitive".
>Note my use of 'WOULD' above, as opposed to 'would'.  This is due to the
>fact that I intended a stronger, and therefore, different, meaning of the
>word.

It is nice to have C case-sensitive. But the question is does it
really expand the address space?

Taking your example, you can have "would", "WOULD", and probably
"Would". Sure, you wouldn't like to have "wouLd", "wOuld", etc.

In effect, case-sensitivity helps the programmer to expand the
address ( identifier, to be precise ) space by not more than
three fold.

Voice: 031-667 5076                          S. Manoharan
Janet: sam at uk.ac.ed.lfcs                     Dept of Computer Science
Uucp : ..!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!sam                 University of Edinburgh
Arpa : sam%lfcs.ed.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk  Edinburgh EH9 3JZ    UK.