Iconitis

Glenn L. Austin austing at Apple.COM
Sat Apr 15 02:40:44 AEST 1989

In article <155 at bms-at.UUCP> stuart at bms-at.UUCP (Stuart Gathman) writes:
>In article <28558 at apple.Apple.COM>, austing at Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
>
>> interface (on the PC, does "FORMAT" get my document ready for printing?).
>> Oh, by the way, the last parenthesizes statement is common among secretaries
>
>My brother was supporting MACs.  He stepped out of the room for a minute,
    ^^^^^^^
>and when he got back there was a problem.  The screen had said, "Insert
>another diskette" in one of those fancy dialog boxes.  So she did.  Without
                                                           ^^^
>first removing the floppy already in the drive.  This was the end of the
>floppy drive.
>
>Moral: Some background knowledge is required to operate any program.
>A truly user friendly system would prevent such a problem, but I submit
>that this is a very difficult problem for both hardware and software.  The
>MAC still doesn't come close to solving it.
>
>P.S.  Everyone I know, including myself, has spent at least 20 minutes trying
>to figure out how to delete a file when playing with the MAC for the
>first time.

Well, anytime you force something, you break it.  I have seen more disk drives
broken because "the #!@$ disk won't go in" or "I can't get the #!@$ drive door
closed."  I have also seen many unusable disks that have been misaligned in
the AT-type half-height drives with the "twist-type" drive "doors".  I think
that the moral of this story is "if it don't fit, find out why."

| Glenn L. Austin             | The nice thing about standards is that      |
| Apple Computer, Inc.        | there are so many of them to choose from.   |
| Internet: austing at apple.com |       -Andrew S. Tanenbaum                  |