preprocessor fun

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Mon Apr 10 15:45:16 AEST 1989

In article <1989Apr7.192628.4547 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>	#ifdef notdef
>	#hahafooledyou
>	#endif

>Show me where it says that the middle line is a directive at all.
>I claim that it is two preprocessing tokens which do not happen to be a
>directive.  Nowhere does the Oct. draft say that *only* directives can
>begin with "#", or that all lines starting with "#" are directives.

The third line is also two preprocessing tokens.  Yup, a vendor can sell
a compiler that does lots of unexpected things, and point out that it
conforms to the standard.  Let's let the vendor pay her development
costs and take her choice; customers have choices too.

Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for
  If they're also your opinions,   |  re-inventing the wheel, when car
  you're infringing my copyright.  |  manufacturers are praised for it?